Apple Pay is a mobile payment and digital wallet service that allows users to make payments in-store, online, and through apps on their iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. Many people assume that Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, accepts Apple Pay. However, the truth is a bit more complicated. In this blog post, we’ll explore does Walmart take Apple Pay, why it doesn’t, and what alternative payment options are available.
Does Walmart Take Apple Pay? The Confusing Reality
The short answer is NO. Walmart does not accept Apple Pay at its stores. However, this does not mean that you cannot use your iPhone or Apple Watch to make a purchase at Walmart. This may be due to a glitch in the payment system or a change in Walmart’s policy. But in general, Walmart does not officially support Apple Pay.
Why Doesn’t Walmart Take Apple Pay in-Store?
There are a few reasons why Walmart doesn’t take Apple Pay in-store:
- Walmart is part of a consortium of retailers called the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX). The MCX created its own mobile payment system called CurrentC, which was supposed to compete with Apple Pay and other mobile payment systems. However, CurrentC was never widely adopted and was eventually discontinued.
- Walmart wants to have more control over the payment process. By creating its own mobile payment system, Walmart is able to collect more data on its customers’ purchasing habits and offer targeted promotions and discounts.
- Walmart Pay, the company’s own mobile payment system, is available in the Walmart app and is already integrated into Walmart’s existing payment infrastructure. This makes it easier for Walmart to process payments and avoid the costs of adding new payment systems.
Can You Use Apple Pay for Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery?
No, you cannot use Apple Pay for Walmart grocery pickup and delivery orders. You’ll need to use a credit or debit card or a Walmart gift card to pay for your order.
Will Walmart Take Apple Pay In-Store in the Future?
It’s unclear whether Walmart will ever accept Apple Pay. While some customers have reported being able to use Apple Pay at self-checkout machines, Walmart has not officially announced support for the payment system. Walmart seems to be focused on promoting its own mobile payment system, Walmart Pay, which is available in the Walmart app.
Recent Signs Walmart May Start Accepting Apple Pay
Despite Walmart’s initial resistance to Apple Pay, there have been recent signs that the company may start accepting the payment system:
- In November 2020, Walmart announced that it would be adding support for QR code payments in its stores. At the same time, Walmart did not specifically mention Apple Pay, the announcement was seen as a sign that the company may be open to accepting the payment system in the future.
- Some customers have reported being able to use Apple Pay at self-checkout machines in Walmart stores. While this is not an official announcement of support, it does suggest that Walmart is testing the waters with Apple Pay.
Alternatives to Pay at Walmart if You’re an iPhone User
While you can’t use Apple Pay at Walmart, there are still several other payment options available. These include:
- Walmart Pay: Walmart Pay is Walmart’s own mobile payment system that allows you to pay using your smartphone. You can add your credit or debit card to the Walmart Pay app and scan the QR code at checkout to complete your purchase.
- Credit or Debit Card: You can also pay with your credit or debit card at Walmart. Simply swipe or insert your card at the payment terminal and enter your PIN.
- Cash: Of course, cash is always an option at Walmart. You can pay with cash at any checkout lane or self-checkout machine.
The Rumors About Walmart and Apple Pay
There have been many rumors surrounding Walmart’s acceptance of Apple Pay over the years. Here’s what you need to know:
Walmart’s Previous Stance
Initially, Walmart refused to accept Apple Pay and other third-party mobile payment options in its stores. Instead, the company pushed its own mobile payment system, Walmart Pay. This decision was likely motivated by concerns about transaction fees and security.
Signs of Change
In recent years, there have been some signs that Walmart may be warming up to the idea of accepting Apple Pay. In 2015, Walmart introduced a new payment feature in its mobile app called Walmart Pay. This feature enables customers to store their credit or debit card information in the Walmart app and scan a QR code at the checkout to complete the transaction.
While Walmart has not officially announced plans to accept Apple Pay, some customers have reported being able to use Apple Pay at select Walmart stores. Additionally, Walmart has been implementing new technologies such as scan-and-go checkout and cashier-less stores, which may make it more likely for the company to eventually accept Apple Pay.
While it’s true that Walmart does not accept Apple Pay, there are still several other payment options available. Walmart Pay, credit or debit cards, and cash are all accepted at Walmart stores. While it’s unclear whether Walmart will ever accept Apple Pay in the future, for now, customers will have to use one of these other payment options when shopping at Walmart.
Apple Pay is a mobile payment and digital wallet service that allows users to make payments using their iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, or Mac. It works by securely storing users' credit or debit card information and allowing them to make contactless payments at participating retailers.
Walmart has its own mobile payment system, Walmart Pay, which it encourages customers to use instead of Apple Pay. Additionally, Walmart has been hesitant to adopt third-party payment systems due to concerns about transaction fees and security.
Walmart does not currently accept Apple Pay as a payment method in its physical stores. However, some customers have reported success in using Apple Pay at select Walmart stores. To use Apple Pay, simply add your credit or debit card information to the Wallet app on your iPhone and hold your device near the contactless payment reader at checkout.
Yes, Walmart accepts digital wallets such as Walmart Pay, which is the retailer's own mobile payment system, as well as other digital wallet apps such as Google Pay and Samsung Pay for in-store purchases.
Walmart does not currently accept Apple Pay as a payment method in its physical stores. However, some customers have reported success in using Apple Pay at select Walmart stores. Walmart does accept Google Pay, which is a digital wallet app that allows users to make payments using their Android devices, as well as other digital wallet apps such as Samsung Pay.